Moving is stressful and takes a lot of prep time. But, if you take the time to plan ahead, you can have a swift and comfortable transition into your new home. No matter the time of day you’re moving, it’s important to keep your absolute must-have items within reach; things like chargers, cleaning supplies and plastic ware.
Here’s a short checklist of items to put in your “essentials” bag:
- Toilet paper/paper towels: self-explanatory
- Energy bars and water bottles: You’re going to want to keep energized and hydrated throughout the day.
- Box cutter/scissors: Good to have within reach for when you’re ready to start unpacking
- Phone and tablet chargers: Last thing you want to do is spend time looking for your charger when your battery is at 15%
- “TSA” Toiletries: You may not get to unpack and organize all your toiletries the day you move, so have a bag of essential travel-size items for the first and second day – toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, body wash, soap, etc.
- Cleaning supplies: You don’t always have the opportunity to go to your new home ahead of time to get cleaning done – have your cleaning supplies, sponges and disinfecting wipes ready for use; don’t forget to also take a roll of garbage bags along with you.
- Coffee maker/coffee: This sounds like an odd one, but if you’re a coffee drinker you’ll understand. Hours of moving + potential hick-ups in the process, you’re going to want your cup of joe, STAT.
- Utensils: Odds are, you won’t start cooking first-thing when you move it. Moving day is a great excuse for takeout, have your plastic ware, paper plates and cups handy.
by Yuliya Ryvkina, Coldwell Banker