It is suddenly autumn and outdoor activities turn from fun days at the pool to our fall family favorites. Here are some ideas for enjoying the changing season within a day trip of the Chicagoland and Milwaukee area:
1. HALLOWEEN FUN
October is the season to get your scare on! Visit one of these scary places this season:
- Night of 1,000 Jack-o’-Lanterns, Chicago Botanical Garden, Glencoe, IL – October 20-23rd. You will encounter 1,000 carved pumpkins and costumed characters along the path. The Chicago Botanic Garden will close at 5 PM and reopen at 6 PM for this event. Cider and other seasonal refreshments will be available for purchase.
- Boo at the Zoo, Brookfield Zoo, Brookfield, IL – October 22-23 & 29-30. Haunted hayrides, pumpkin carving and pumpkin smashing, costume parade and contest and spooky fun!
- Old Sheriff’s House Haunted House, Crown Point, IN – Scary fun at the haunted house in the historic old sheriff’s house and jail October 14-15, 21-22 & 28-29.
2. CORN MAZES AND HAYRIDES
Corn mazes have become very popular in the last few years so you should have no trouble finding one in your area. Here are a few to choose from. Bring the whole family on a crisp and sunny autumn day and enjoy apple picking, fresh cider and apple pie, pumpkins, hayrides, petting zoos, pig races and more fall family fun! Don’t get too lost in the corn mazes!
- Richardson’s Farm, Spring Grove, IL
- Odyssey Fun Farm, Tinley Park, IL
- Skelly’s Farm Market, Janesville, WI
- County Line Orchard, Hobart, IN
- Amazing Acres, Edwardsburg, MI
3. BIKING TRAILS
You may have heard that Bicycling Magazine recently named Chicago as the #1 bike-friendly city in the U.S. over NYC! Fall is the perfect time to dust off your bike and take a ride on the beautiful Chicago lakefront. A nice bonus is you get a chance to see all the beautiful fall colors changing. Don’t forget your helmet!
4. HIKING TRAILS
Hiking is another great way to view the changing colors of the leaves this fall. Here are a few ideas for you to try.
- Starved Rock State Park, Oglesby, IL
- Kettle Moraine South Trails, WI
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Chesterton, IN
Whatever you decide to do, make sure to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather. It will be getting cold before you know it!
by Janice Ruzich, Coldwell Banker